( Don’t forget the test at the bottom! )
A: ni zai zuo shenme?
B: wo zhengzai kan wo
jiaren de zhaopian.
A: en. zhe shi shei?
B: zhe shi wo baba
A: a, nide fuqin.
B: meicuo. ni kan, zhe shi wo
A: jiu shi nide muqin.
B: dui. tamen shi wode fumu.
A: zhege meinv shi shei?
B: ta shi wo jiejie. wo shi ta
meimei. ta hai you ge haizi.
A: shi nan hai haishi nv hai?
B: yige nan hai er. ni kan.
A: wasai. zhen ku!
B: jiu shi!
A: ni you gege huozhe didi ma?
B: mei you. ni jiu shi wode gege!
Did this lesson help you?
1. What does the Chinese verb 做 (zuo) mean?
In many languages, there is one verb that means both “do” and “make”. German: machen, Spanish: hacer, French: faire, Czech: dělat. It’s also the case in Chinese language.
2. How do you write “do” with a Chinese character, and with pinyin?
(A) 故 / zuo
(B) 做 / cuo
(C) 故 / cuo
(D) 做 / zuo
3. The Chinese character for “do” is a combination-character that begins with two little stripes that stand for the character 人 . How do you write 人 with pinyin, and what is the English translation?
(A) ren / person
(B) er / two
(C) nv / woman
(D) qing / please
4. What is the best translation for the following question?
你 在 做 什么 ?
(A) What have you done?
(B) What are you doing?
(C) What do you do?
(D) What do you want to do?
5. What is the best translation for this sentence?
我 正在 看 你。
(A) I look at you.
(B) I’m looking at you.
(C) I’m looking at you right now.
(D) You’re looking at me right now.
The verb 吃饭 (chi fan) means “eat”.
Wo chi fan = I eat (in general)
Wo zai chi fan = I’m eating
Wo zheng zai chi fan = I’m eating right now
6. How do you write the Chinese characters “ 家人 ” with pinyin, and what is the English translation?
(A) cha ren / family-members
(B) jia ran / foreigner
(C) cha ran / parents
(D) jia ren / family-members
The first character of question 6, 家，is a combination of the characters 宀 , meaning “roof”, and 猪，meaning “pig”. The combination-character 家 means “house”, which is a visualization of a pig under a roof. Thousand years ago it was common to hold pigs inside the house.
7. How do you write “picture” or “foto” with Chinese characters and with pinyin?
(A) 照片 / zhaopian
(B) 热片 / zhaupian
(C) 黑片 / zhaopien
(D) 照片 / zhaopien
If you put 的 (de) right after a personal pronoun, it becomes a possessive adjectieve or pronoun.
I + 的 = my / mine
she + 的 = her / hers
we + 的 = our / ours
8. How do you write “This is our house” with Chinese characters?
(A) 那 是 他们 的 家
(B) 这 我们 的 家
(C) 那 是 我们 的 家
(D) 这 是 我们 的 家
When talking about family-members, you can skip 的 if you want.
My father = 我（的）爸爸
9. How do you write “The pictures of my family-members” ?
(A) Wo zhaopian de jiaren
(B) Wo jiaren de zhaopian
(C) Wo de jiaren de zhaopian
(D) Wo jiaren zhaopian
10. How do you write “Who is this?” with Chinese characters, and with pinyin, and what is the most literal English translation?
(A) 这 是 谁？/ zhe shi shei ? / That is who ?
(B) 那 是 谁？ / na shi shei ? / This is who ?
(C) 那 是 谁？ / na shi shei ? / That is who ?
(D) 这 是 谁？ / zhe shi shei? / This is who ?
You finish a question with 吗 (ma, question mark), UNLESS the question contains a question word. For example, 怎么 (zenme, how).
11. How do you write the following question words with Chinese characters?
“ what / how / who ”
(A) 怎么 / 什么 / 谁
(B) 什么 / 怎么 / 谁
(C) 什么 / 谁 / 怎么
(D) 谁 / 什么 / 怎么
12. What are the formal words for respectively
爸爸 （baba ) and 妈妈 （mama）?
A) 父亲（muqin）and 母亲（fuqin）
B) 母亲（muqin）and 父亲（fuqin）
C) 父亲（fuqin）and 母亲（muqin）
D) 母亲（fuqin）and 父亲（muqin）
13. What is the most literal translation of this question?
这个 美女 是 谁？
(A) Who is that pretty girl?
(B) This beautiful woman is who?
(C) Who is that beautiful woman?
(D) That beautiful girl is who?
14. The combination-characters 姐姐 （jiejie, older sister）and 妹妹 （meimei, younger sister）all begin with the character 女 . How do you write that character with pinyin, and what is the English translation?
(A) nv / sister
(B) nu / woman
(C) nu / sister
(D) nv / woman
15. “child” in Chinese is 孩子（hai zi）. The first of these two characters is a combination-character. On the left side you can see 子, which is also the second character in 孩子.
子 means “child”. And “woman”, that was 女 .
Now imagine this combination-character:
What does that combination-character mean, a woman with a child?
16. What’s the best way to translate “ hai ” in the following sentence?
Ta hai you ge haizi .
17. How do you write “ boy / girl ” with Chinese characters, and with pinyin?
(A) 女孩 nv hai / 男孩 nan hai
(B) 男孩 nv hai / 女孩 nan hai
(C) 女孩 nan hai / 男孩 nv hai
(D) 男孩 nan hai / 女孩 nv hai
The combination-character 男 （nan, male）is made up of the characters 田（tian, field）and 力（li, force）. So the force working on the fields, that was a man.
18. There are two kinds of “ or ” in Chinese.
1) A series of possibilities. For example, I’ll go to Beijing tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
2) A question with options. For example, Do you want to eat fish or meat?
What is that second “ or ” in Chinese, with characters and with pinyin?
(A) 怎么 zenme
(B) 什么 shenme
(C) 谁 shei
(D) 还是 haishi
19. How would you translate the following expression into English?
就是！ ( jiu shi ! )
(A) You’re wrong!
(B) I fully agree!
(C) So beautiful!
(D) Go away!
20. How do you write “younger brother / older brother” with Chinese characters, and with pinyin ?
(A) 哥哥 didi / 弟弟 gege
(B) 弟弟 didi / 哥哥 gege
(C) 弟弟 gege / 哥哥 didi
(D) 哥哥 gege / 弟弟 didi
Learn Chinese online with these free Chinese lessons. This is best online Chinese course, a language course for beginners of Mandarin Chinese. Learn to speak Chinese, how to say, read and write or draw or type Chinese characters or signs (simplified) on the keyboard of your computer, MacBook, iPhone, Samsung, Android, tablet, Windows, iPad, Mac or telephone. Learn their pronunciation, meaning and English translation. The Chinese alphabet and its letters. Many dialogues with new words, grammar and conversation. In this lesson you will learn about family and family members. Learn Chinese with Oliver, the best way of elementary, intermediate and advanced Chinese learning online. This course offers you the best conversational mandarin lessons online. Learn Chinese online for free | This is the best online Chinese course for beginners. Chinese Learning online. Lesson # 10, Chinese conversation with English subtitles about the family. A Chinese conversation with English subtitles and English translation. Mandarin language course for beginners. Learn lessons with Oliver. Learn conversational Chinese with Oliver and his conversational mandarin lessons online. In this free and online elementary language course of basic Mandarin Chinese you will see many dialogues and conversation, and study the grammar, pronunciation, many new words and vocabulary. You will learn how to draw, type or write Chinese characters in these free chinese lessons online. This is simply the BEST conversational Chinese language course with many free mandarin lessons online. Learn Chinese online, free for beginners, with the BEST online Chinese course, and the BEST Chinese lessons.
In this free online lesson #10 of basic conversational Chinese for beginners you will see a basic Chinese conversation or dialogue with English subtitles and translation in English. You will learn many new words about the family, and how to write them with Chinese characters using pinyin, their meaning and pronunciation. The Chinese alphabet has more than 10.000 Chinese characters. You will learn the most important Chinese characters here, in the best language course of Mandarin Chinese for beginners, online and for free. CHINESE WITH OLIVER, conversation 10. Speak about the family. The BEST free online course of conversational Chinese for beginners. Learn Mandarin and write Chinese characters.