( Don’t forget the test at the bottom! )
jintian women qi zixingche.
ni hui ma?
zhe shi wode zixingche.
ni kan, beijing shi gonggong zixingche.
tamen shi hongbai se de.
zhe shi honglv deng.
hong deng ting, lv deng xing.
xianzai wang you guai.
women xianzai dao le
tian an men guangchang.
man dian er.
xianzai wang you guai.
daochu dou you che.
ni neng bu neng kuai yidian er?
aya, beijing jiaotong zhen shi ge wenti.
zheli wang zuo guai.
ta shi mao ze dong.
xiao xin! you che.
wo jintian qi le henduo gongli.
wo lei le. wo hui jia. zai jian!
1. What is the most literal English translation of this sentence?
(A) Hello everybody!
(B) Big family good!
(C) Hello family!
(D) How are you all?
2. “qi zixingche” literally means “ride bicycle”. The Chinese character for “ride” is a combined character, made up of three characters. How do you write the character on the left with pinyin, and what is its meaning in English?
(A) kou / mouth
(B) ma / mother
(C) ma / horse
(D) tou / head
3. What do these Chinese characters mean?
自 / 行 / 车
(A) from / OK / four
(B) eye / go / vehicle
(C) self / OK / horse
(D) self / go / vehicle
Until 1950, illiteracy was wide-spread in China, partly due to the complexity of the characters. That’s why the Chinese government decided to simplify the traditional characters. Thanks to these new, simplified characters, illiteracy decreased rapidly. But many characters lost their visual significance. For example, the traditional character for 车（che, vehicle）is 車 . It really looks like a cart seen from above.
4. What is the English translation of “骑马” ?
(A) Are you riding?
(C) Ride horse
5. Which of the following Chinese characters mean the verb “can” ?
6. What do these Chinese characters mean, and how do you write them in pinyin?
北 / 京 / 市
(A) north / capital / city - Bei Jing Shi
(B) head / city / vehicle - Tou Shi Che
(C) north / capital / vehicle - Bei Jing Che
(D) compared / capital / city - Bi Jing Shi
7. What is the English translation of
公共 （gong gong）?
(D) older brother
The Chinese characters 红（red）and 绿（green）are combined characters with a few stripes on the left that stand for the character 丝（si, silk）. Just think of two beautiful silk shawls, one red and one green.
8. Which colors are these?
绿色 / 白色 / 黑色 / 黄色 / 红色
(A) red / green / white / black / yellow
(B) green / white / black / red / yellow
(C) yellow / red / black / white / green
(D) green / white / black / yellow / red
9. How do you write “red wine” with characters?
10. What is the literal English translation of the Chinese word for “traffic light” ?
(A) green red light
(B) red stop light
(C) red green light
(D) stop vehicle light
The Chinese character for “light” or “lamp” is 灯（deng）. When this character was invented, obviously electricity was not yet available, and places were illuminated with lanterns, with a burning candle inside.
11. Which character is part of the combined character for “light” ?
(A) 人 （ren, person）
(B) 火 （huo, fire）
(C) 水 （shui, water）
(D) 大 （da, big）
12. What is the literal English translation of this sentence?
(A) green light go, red light stop
(B) look left right left go
(C) red light wait, green light go
(D) red light stop, green light go
13. What do these Chinese characters mean?
拐 / 往 / 现在 / 右
(A) turn / to / now / right
(B) now / to / right / turn
(C) to / right / turn / now
(D) turn / to / right / now
14. What is the Chinese character and pinyin for the verb “arrive” ?
(A) 到 tao
(B) 捯 dao
(C) 到 dao
(D) 倒 dao
15. What do these Chinese characters mean?
门 / 广场 / 安 / 天
(A) gate / square / peace / heaven
(B) square / heaven / gate / peace
(C) gate / square / heaven / peace
(D) peace / square / gate / heaven
16. The Chinese character for “peace” is a combined character. Of which two words does that character consist, translated into English?
(A) door + person
(B) horse + mouth
(C) woman + roof
(D) field + force
17. How do you write these Chinese characters in pinyin, and what is the best English translation?
(A) shao shin / small heart
(B) xiao xin / be careful
(C) shao xin / a little bit careful
(D) xiao xin / to the right
18. How do you write the following Chinese characters in pinyin?
点 / 走 / 一直 / 慢
(A) man / zou / yizhi / dian
(B) dian / zou / man / yizhi
(C) yizhi / dian / zou / man
(D) dian / zou / yizhi / man
19. What is the English translation for these Chinese characters?
左 / 右 / 慢 / 快
(A) left / right / slow / fast
(B) right / left / fast / slow
(C) left / right / fast / slow
(D) fast / right / left / slow
20. Which Chinese character means
“there is / there are” ?
21. Which of the following Chinese words mean the verb “can” ?
22. How do you write the following Chinese characters with pinyin, and what is the English translation?
问题 / 交通
A) wenti = traffic / jiaotong = problem
B) jiaotong = traffic / wenti = problem
C) wenti = problem / jiaotong = traffic
D) jiaotong = problem / wenti = traffic
23. The first leader of the People’s Republic of China was Mao Ze Dong （毛泽东）. The character in the middle is a combined character. What do the three stripes on the left mean?
24. The Chinese characters for “here”, “kilometer” and “tired” are combined characters. All three have one character in common. What does that character mean?
25. Adjectives in Chinese can often be used as verbs. Imagine that your Chinese friend has had a bit too much to drink, and his face has turned red. How do you say the following sentence in Chinese?
You’ve become red !
26. What does the Chinese character 回（hui）mean?
27. How do you write the following Chinese characters with pinyin, and what is their meaning ?
再 / 见
(A) zai = in / jian = see
(B) jian = again / zai = see
(C) zai = see / jian = again
(D) zai = again / jian = see
Learn Chinese online with these free Chinese lessons. This is best online Chinese course, a language course for beginners of Mandarin Chinese. Learn to speak Chinese, how to say, read and write or draw or type Chinese characters or signs (simplified) on the keyboard of your computer, MacBook, iPhone, Samsung, Android, tablet, Windows, iPad, Mac or telephone. Learn their pronunciation, meaning and English translation. The Chinese alphabet and its letters. Many dialogues with new words, grammar and conversation. In this lesson you will learn about Tiananmen Square. Learn Chinese with Oliver, the best way of elementary, intermediate and advanced Chinese learning online. This course offers you the best conversational mandarin lessons online. Learn Chinese online for free | This is the best online Chinese course for beginners. Chinese Learning online. Lesson # 12, Chinese conversation with English subtitles about Tiananmen Square. A Chinese conversation with English subtitles and English translation. Mandarin language course for beginners. Learn lessons with Oliver. Learn conversational Chinese with Oliver and his conversational mandarin lessons online. In this free and online elementary language course of basic Mandarin Chinese you will see many dialogues and conversation, and study the grammar, pronunciation, many new words and vocabulary. You will learn how to draw, type or write Chinese characters in these free chinese lessons online. This is simply the BEST conversational Chinese language course with many free mandarin lessons online. Learn Chinese online, free for beginners, with the BEST online Chinese course, and the BEST Chinese lessons.
In this free online lesson #12 of basic conversational Chinese for beginners you will see a basic Chinese conversation or dialogue with English subtitles and translation in English. You will learn many new words about Tiananmen Square, and how to write them with Chinese characters using pinyin, their meaning and pronunciation. The Chinese alphabet has more than 10.000 Chinese characters. You will learn the most important Chinese characters here, in the best language course of Mandarin Chinese for beginners, online and for free. CHINESE WITH OLIVER, conversation 12, Tiananmen Square. Free online course of conversational Chinese for beginners. Learn to speak Mandarin, and write Chinese characters.